Environmental impacts of Quaternary eruptions in the Central Andes: modeling for the prevention of the effects of future eruptions
Many volcanic eruptions have occurred during the Quaternary in the Andes and particularly in the area of northern Argentina and Chile with the generation of environmental impacts of diverse magnitude. QUECA Project is addressed to the analysis of the environmental impact of Quaternary eruptions of the central Andes, with particular consideration of the Holocene events by the involvement of men, to extract patterns to model the prediction and prevention of the effects of future eruptions in environment, focusing on its geographic and temporal scope. The average rate is about one eruption per year in the Southern Cone. Project is focused in the most factible scenarios, including those that have a local impact, effusive (lava fields that can affect human sttlemensts and agricultural fields and water courses, by deviation or interruption), and regional impacts due to explosive eruptions (ash deposits).
The objectives of Project QUECA are:
- Analysis of the extent and temporal persistence of the geochemical impact of high explosive case study Quaternary eruptions, emphasizing the Holocene ones by the involvement of men, to model the prediction and prevention of the effects of future eruptions in the environment of the Andean region.
- Development and validation of experiemental methods to simulate over time the behaviour of geochemical inputs generated by the ashes when interact with water.
- Calibration and validation of hyperspectral remte sensing imagery for early detection of the composition and extent of erupted material.
- Jose-Luis Fernandez-Turiel, ICTJA-CSIC, Barcelona, Spain, Project Leader
- Julio Saavedra Alonso, IRNASA-CSIC, Salamanca, Spain
- Juan Carlos Carracedo Gómez, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
- Francisco José Pérez Torrado, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
- Alejandro Rodríguez González, ICTJA-CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
- Juan F. Gallardo Lancho, IRNASA-CSIC, Salamanca, Spain
- Agustín Lobo Aleu, ICTJA-CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
- Marta Rejas Alejos, ICTJA-CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
- Luis Dante Martínez, Universidad Nacional de San Luis, Argentina
- Raúl Andrés Gil, Universidad de San Luis, Argentina
- Griselda Galindo, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Graciela Esteban, Universidad Nacional de Tucumán, Argentina
- Julieta Carrizo, Universidad Nacional de Tucumán, Argentina
- Margarita Osterreith, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Argentina
Project Leader: Jose-Luis Fernandez-Turiel
Project Financed by PNIDI CGL: CGL2011-23307